Attempting to navigate the dating scene can be complicated under normal conditions, but a cold sore outbreak can make matters worse.
Should I go on a date with cold sores? What is the cold sore dating etiquette? It is my first date, and I have a cold blister. How can I manage the relationship without feeling embarrassed? These are just a few of the questions that we’ll be looking at closely.
Physical appearance is really important when dating. Whether right or wrong, people do judge others based on the way that they look, especially when they’re younger. And, right or wrong, they may reach incorrect assumptions about the herpes simplex virus (HSV-1).
There is so much confusion surrounding the subject, and some people think that a cold sore is a sexually transmitted disease (STD). Obviously, a cold sore is contagious, but it’s not an STD. Not everybody has the medical knowledge to understand the difference between HSV-1 and HSV-2.
In the complex world of dating, you must first display the right amount of courage. Should you cancel a date because of a cold sore? The final answer could well be determined by your level of self-confidence and the level of maturity of the person that you’re dating.
Would you go on a date if you were able to cover up a cold sore and heal faster? Well, you could use a Compeed Invisible Cold Sore Patch to help to treat the condition and make it significantly less noticeable. We just want you to be aware that it isn’t all doom and gloom.
Advantages of Going on a Date with Cold Sores
You have a date tonight. Good relationships have always eluded you, but you are eager for another chance. Cold sore and all, you are poised and ready to face the music. Now that you have confidence on your side what are the actual positives of dating with a cold sore?
- You allow the other person to see you at your worst. If a romantic relationship develops, they will eventually know everything about you, both literally and figuratively, as time goes on anyway. That said, it can still be difficult to tell a partner that you get cold sores.
- Stepping on the scene with a cold sore, especially on a first date, can be viewed as confidence. You are essentially telling your date this is me, here I am, so take it or leave it. Will this frame of mind work? You might be surprised by the positive response you receive. Displaying your true self and being genuine can go a long way. Yes, that’s true, even with a red blister on your lip.
- If you have an engaging sense of humor the cold sore could be used to strike up a conversation. Seriously. After all, we are all human and have our physical flaws from time to time. Why not make a joke about it?
- Take it all in stride and shake it off. What if you accept a date and get food in your teeth? Are you going to get up from the table and leave or just laugh things off? If the date is important enough, you will choose the person over your fear of rejection.
- Your current dating status can also work in your favor as a positive. While taking a leap of faith on the first date can show confidence, engaging in multiple dates can display trust. Have you developed a sense of comfort with the person you are dating? If so, they probably do not care too much about your unfortunate blemish. In fact, they probably have a few flaws of their own.
Disadvantages of Dating with a Cold Sore
Do you have a date tonight? Have you have mastered the cold sore etiquette or would you rather cancel your date and play it safe?
Here are a few negatives that could transpire if you decide to put your cold sore on display.
- Let’s not ignore the elephant in the room. The first con of accepting a date while sporting a cold sore is a complete embarrassment. If the sore is noticed and your companion is turned off immediately, it is likely all downhill from there. Some people find that cold sores are ruining their relationships, regardless of whether it’s the judgments of other people or an erosion of self-confidence.
- Confidence killer. While some people can deal with virtually any situation, others simply struggle. If you are unable able to cope with cold sore dating etiquette the night could be over before it begins. The inability to deal with your shortcoming could ruin the entire rendezvous. As noted earlier, simply displaying the best version of yourself is critical in dating. For some people sporting a cold sore is enough to kill their self-esteem.
- Do you really want to subject yourself to the explaining game? Are you uncertain how to tell someone you have a cold sore? Is it just too much trouble to engage? If you feel that jumping through these hoops is too exhausting, dating is potentially not a wise decision.
- Are you greatly concerned about spreading the virus? Will that first date kiss have more implications outside of the obvious? Are you concerned how to prevent cold sores after kissing? If you are uncertain about these questions, you might want to reconsider your plans.
Important Precautions when Dating with HSV 1
This particular portion of the cold sore dating saga comes down to basic respect. Not only respect for your companion but a general respect for yourself.
Although choosing to disclose your status is your decision, taking personal responsibility while on a date is paramount. Whether your date actively knows about your HSV 1 status or not, you do.
Listed below are several activities you should avoid on date night if you have a cold sore:
- Never share drinks. Simply entertaining the thought of drinking from the same glass, cup, or bottle should be off limits.
- Whether you have dated this person for 10 minutes or 10 months, avoid kissing if you have a cold sore. Especially an exposed blister. If your companion is willing to kiss you with a sore, they are likely willing to wait for healing.
- No sharing of cigarettes. Sharing tobacco products should be off limits. This is yet another dangerous way of exposing your date to HSV 1.
- The mutual use of the same utensils is also ill-advised. Keep your folks and spoons to yourself.
- Is holding hands a smart move? Touching his face could result in him/her becoming infected.
While most of the precautions noted above are common sense, they are still critical. Taking personal responsibility is an admirable quality. Attempting to conceal your cold sore is one thing. Exposing your date to a virus is quite another.
Heal Cold Sores & Find Love Faster
Once you have decided to take the dating game by the horns, it is important to patch your sore. Courtesy of various supplements and cover-up aides you can still entertain your date while also disguising your blemish.
- The Compeed Invisible Cold Sore Patch. Since the herpes simplex virus (HSV 1) cannot be eradicated overnight, a cover-up is essential. Abreva and Quantum Health also offer similar invisible patches that can provide a quick fix.
- New to the market, the topical balm known as HERP-B-GONE is a positive treatment method. Containing natural ingredients, HERP-B-GONE is FDA approved and comes with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee or your money back.
- If the rapid healing approach is more intriguing than a patch, the Virulite Cold Sore Light Device could be your answer. Courtesy of special wavelength light technology, the Virulite machine can stimulate healing quite fast. In fact, this breakthrough treatment can potentially heal a cold sore in half the time compared to traditional topical ointments. If a date has been scheduled, and you have multiple days to prepare, this product could be a worthy option.
While relationships can come and go, unfortunately so can cold sores. Regardless of the products you choose to utilize you can always keep them handy if another outbreak occurs. These products are especially critical if you are not disclosing HSV 1 with your date.
Healthy Relationships & Cold Sores
Education, respect for your date, and self-confidence are essentially the three biggest takeaways from this material.
If you feel as though your scheduled date is a “can’t miss” opportunity then refuse to miss it. The pain of regret could potentially be worse than the appearance of a cold sore.
Life is about taking risks and putting yourself in uncomfortable situations. If you arm yourself with knowledge regarding HSV 1, confidence, respect, and a touch of humor, everything will be okay. Just be honest and take the necessary precautions to keep your date safe from getting infected.